THIS BLOG WAS SET UP TO CHRONICLE OUR ADVENTURES IN MÉXICO & GUATEMALA IN 2010.

Mike and I explored the Mexican Yucatán Peninsula for 2 weeks of flyfishing (Mike), diving (Stacey), snorkeling, Maya ruins, a colonial city, cenotes, quite a few hammocks and lots of great food.

When Mike flew home I headed to San Cristóbal de las Casas in Chiapas for 2 weeks of Spanish study with a small group in tow. We lived with host families and visited area sights including villages, museums, and ruins.

When the group flew home I bused to San Pedro La Laguna on Lake Atitlán in Guatemala for a week of planning for future growth of the Beca Project (link below) and meeting our sponsored kids and their families.

When our daughter Mariah and her husband Greg invited us to share a timeshare in Quintana Roo between Christmas and New Years, a new chapter to this blog was added. HAPPY TRAILS!

Monday, July 5, 2010

The Market

A quiet, special day. Rose this morning and had extra time for breakfast and conversation because our classes are in the afternoon this week, 4 to 7 pm. When I was good and ready I headed to the markets and spent nearly 4 hours exploring. The people watching was fascinating blocks before the market; the man below was selling a product that apparently will cure everything under the sun and make your children smarter.


There’s an artisan market which I’d peeked in before; today I had time to really look and talk to the venders and buy a few things for myself and a few gifts. The folk art is especially wonderful; today I adopted the perfect red cloth cat to brighten our living room. Some of her cousins are pictured below.


When the market seems too hectic, there are several lovely churches in the area, open for prayer and contemplation.


I spent most of my time in the market where the locals shop for everything including the vegetables, eggs, beans, home remedies, and tiny pet turtles shown below, plus socks and shoes, live chickens, candles and incense, and, sad but true, pigs' heads (I couldn’t look long enough to take a photo). HAPPY TRAILS!





No comments:

Post a Comment