THIS BLOG WAS SET UP TO CHRONICLE OUR ADVENTURES IN MÉXICO & GUATEMALA IN 2010.

Mike and I explored the Mexican Yucatán Peninsula for 2 weeks of flyfishing (Mike), diving (Stacey), snorkeling, Maya ruins, a colonial city, cenotes, quite a few hammocks and lots of great food.

When Mike flew home I headed to San Cristóbal de las Casas in Chiapas for 2 weeks of Spanish study with a small group in tow. We lived with host families and visited area sights including villages, museums, and ruins.

When the group flew home I bused to San Pedro La Laguna on Lake Atitlán in Guatemala for a week of planning for future growth of the Beca Project (link below) and meeting our sponsored kids and their families.

When our daughter Mariah and her husband Greg invited us to share a timeshare in Quintana Roo between Christmas and New Years, a new chapter to this blog was added. HAPPY TRAILS!

Monday, June 28, 2010

More Merida and Transition to San Cristobal de las Casas

I woke up in gorgeous surroundings, alone but happy, and grabbed the banana and biscuit I bought the night before and set out to find the Museo de Arquaeologia and more churches. The museum was gorgeous, inside and out; the photos below show one of many fascinating sculptures, some tiny 1500 year old shoes, and one of a collection of strangely, purposely misshapen skulls.





Short on time I hired a cab driver to take me to see a few more churches; he waited while I gathered my things and said a quick goodbye to Raul at Hotelito Las Arecas, then whisked me to the airport. I was sad I hadn’t prioritized spending time with him instead of seeing more churches, though I loved them all.

Time on planes and in airports waiting provided the perfect opportunity to devour the Chiapas Moon Handbook I purchased months ago but hadn’t read. I flew from Merida to Mexico City where I caught this shot of a fellow passenger sharing the live Mexico vs. Argentina World Cup game on his laptop.


Next I flew to Tuxtla Gutierrez (no Tropical Storm Alex flight delays - yay!) where I met 3 of the 4 members of my group before we climbed into prearranged taxis and were delivered (an hour later) to our separate host families in San Cristobal de las Casas. My first impression of SC was narrow streets, colorful buildings, and lots of graffiti. My room is comfortable and my host family warm and welcoming; I chose not to subject them to my camera this evening. I decided to explore a bit and find some internet access and it POURED (sample below). HAPPY TRAILS!

No comments:

Post a Comment